|Pink Farm Cemetery|
Pictures courtesy of Brian Budge
Location Information: Follow the road to Helles opposite the Kabatepe Museum. At 14.2km's take a right turn at the 'T' junction and at 14.3km's take the left fork. After a total of 18.2km's, Pink Farm Cemetery will be found down a short track on your left. Pink Farm was a building about 2000 yards south-west of the Redoubt, on the road from Sedd el-Bahr to Geoghegan's Bluff.
The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea. The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 28 April, following the landings at Helles, the first attack was mounted towards Achi Baba, the ridge which dominates the southern part of the peninsula. Fatigue, however, brought the assault to a halt some kilometres short of the objective, near the village of Krithia. Turkish counter attacks followed but were repulsed and during the period 6-8 May, the 29th and French Divisions, reinforced by the 2nd Australian and New Zealand Infantry Brigades, carried out a renewed attack on Krithia, making some gains but suffering heavy casualties. Between 1 May and the beginning of June, the 29th Indian Infantry Brigade and 42nd (East Lancashire) Division landed on the peninsula. With these reinforcements, the Allied force at Helles pushed forward once more on 4 June, but again to little effect. A further attack between 28 June and 5 July at Gully Ravine inflicted heavy casualties on the Turks, but despite local gains - at one point the line was pushed forward more than a kilometre - there was no breakthrough. By 13 July the advance at Helles was effectively over and the position remained unchanged until the evacuation in January 1916. Pink Farm (properly Sotiri Farm) took its name from the red soil of the area. The three cemeteries which grew up around the farm were combined after the Armistice on the site of Pink Farm Cemetery No 3, and this cemetery was further enlarged when graves were brought in from other small burial grounds in the vicinity. There are now 602 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 250 of the burials are unidentified, but special memorials commemorate 219 casualties known or believed to be buried among them.
Number of Identified Casualties: 352
Latest additions to the site | Belgian Cemeteries WW1 Index | French Cemeteries WW1 Index | Turkish Cemeteries WW1 Index
British Cemeteries Index | Other Countries WW1 Index | Belgian Cemeteries WW2 Index | French Cemeteries WW2 Index
Other Countries WW2 Index | Memorial Index | Architects | Roll of Honour Dedications | Roll of Honour
Cemeteries with Victoria Cross burials | Cemeteries with "Shot at Dawn" burials | Regimental Badge Archive
Information on how to submit a photograph or image to the site | Book Reviews | About Us and our task | Links
Site Map | Miscellaneous articles | WW1 Battles Index