HYDE PARK CORNER (ROYAL BERKS) CEMETERY
Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berks) Cemetery is located 12.5 km south of Ieper
town centre, on the Rijselseweg (N365), a road connecting Ieper to
Park Corner was a road junction to the north of Ploegsteert Wood, Hill 63
was to the north-west and nearby were the "Catacombs", deep shelters which
were capable of holding two battalions, which were used from November 1916
onwards. The cemetery was begun in April 1915 by the 1st/4th Royal
Berkshire Regiment and was used at intervals until November 1917. It
contains 83 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war
Shot at Dawn: 5009 Rifleman Samuel McBride, 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Rifles, executed for desertion on 07/12/1916, Row A. 17.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty details: UK 81; Canada 1; Australia 1; Germany 4; Total Burials 87