KEMMEL No.1 FRENCH CEMETERY
GENERAL DIRECTIONS: Leave Ieper via the Lille Gate, and take the signs for Armentieres (N365), after 900m just before the railway crossing turn right onto Kemmelseweg. 5km along this road turn right into Vierstraat, the cemetery is 1km along this road on the left, turn left by the cemetery and there is a parking area.
Kemmel was the scene of fierce fighting, in which both British and French troops were engaged. It fell into enemy hands in late April 1918 and remained in German hands until the end of August.
The origin of this cemetery is unknown, it was found by the French Graves Services soon after the armistice, with German graves at the back and British and French graves nearer the road. The French graves were later removed to the Kemmel French Ossuary which contains 5,294 unidentified bodies, or to the French cemetery at Potijze; the gaps left by the removal of these graves were filled by the concentration of burials from the surrounding battlefields and other small cemeteries, additional German graves were also found by the Belgian Graves Service.
CEMETERIES CONCENTRATED INTO KEMMEL No.1 FRENCH CEMETERY;
Beerst German Cemetery
CASUALTY DETAILS: UK 278; Canada 3; Australia 12; New Zealand 3; Germany 94; Total Burials: 390