MONS COMMUNAL CEMETERY
GENERAL DIRECTIONS: The cemetery is located in the north-east of the town, on the Chemin de la Procession a road which leads from the N56 Mons-Brussels road. 600m after the N56 leaves the ring road (R50) is the Chemin de la Procession, the cemetery is 1km along this road on the left.
Further Information: Access and Parking are easy, but it should be noted that this is a very large Communal Cemetery built on hilly ground and the commonwealth graves are quite some distance from the entrance.
Visiting is restricted to normal cemetery opening hours; up to 14 November: 0800-1700 and from 15 November: 0900-1600.
Mons remained in German hands throughout the war after being taken by them in August 1914; it was finally liberated by the Canadian Corps on 11th November 1918. The Communal Cemetery was extended on its North side by the Germans and in this extension which now forms part of the town cemetery were buried soldiers of the French, Russian, Belgian, Italian and Romanian armies, as well as soldiers of the British and German forces. The Italian graves were removed later to Liege Communal Cemetery and 14 French graves were also removed elsewhere. After the armistice, Field Ambulances were stationed in the town along with the 4th and 1st Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations. A new cemetery (Mons British) was started by these units; but the graves were later removed to the Communal Cemetery.
CASUALTY DETAILS: UK 329; Canada 57; Australia 4; New Zealand 2; South Africa 1; Germany 3; France 24; Belgium 2; Russia 74; Romania 9; Total Burials: 505
4th Battery, Canadian Garrison Artillery
09/02/1919, aged 21.
Son of Mrs. G. M. MacDonald, of 47, Rock St., Saint John, New Brunswick.
Plot X. B. 36.
Picture courtesy of Deborah Carr, third Cousin of this soldier