OXFORD ROAD CEMETERY
GENERAL DIRECTIONS: The cemetery is located to the North-East of the town of Ieper. From the station turn left and drive along M.Fochlaan to the roundabout, turn right and go to the next roundabout. Here turn left into M.Haiglaan and drive to the next roundabout. Here turn right into Oude Veurnestraat, this then changes into Diksmuidseweg and Brugseweg drive along this road to the traffic lights. Straight over the lights to the end of the road. At the T junction turn left (still Brugseweg) and continue along this road through the village of Sint Jan (N313). After the village you come to a fork in the road, take the right hand fork and the cemetery is 50 metres along on the right hand side.
Oxford Road was the name given to a road running behind the support
trenches, from a point west of the village of Wieltje south-eastwards to the
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield
Victoria Cross: Captain Clement Robertson, VC, 3rd Bn. Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, attached "A" Bn. Tank Corps, killed in action 04/10/1917, aged 28, he is believed to be buried in plot II. F. 7. Son of Maj. John Albert Robertson (late R.A.), and Mrs. Frances Octavia Caroline Robertson (nee Wynne), of Struan Hill, Delgany, Co. Wicklow.
An extract from "The London Gazette," No. 30433, dated 14th Dec. 1917, records the following:- "For most conspicuous bravery in leading his Tanks in attack under heavy shell, machine-gun and rifle fire. Capt. Robertson, knowing the risk of the Tanks missing the way, continued to lead them on foot, guiding them carefully and patiently towards their objective although he must have known that his action would almost inevitably cost him his life. This gallant officer was killed after his objective had been reached, but his skilful leading had already ensured successful action. His utter disregard of danger and devotion to duty afford an example of outstanding valour."
CASUALTY DETAILS: UK 657; Canada 83; Australia 74; New Zealand 37; Germany 2; Total Burials: 853
The cemetery just after the end of the war