|Vauxbuin German Cemetery|
|Situated in the French region of the
Aisne, the German Military Cemetery at Vauxbuin has 9229 German war dead
from the First World War. In the adjoining French National cemetery rest a
further 4,898 French and 273 British casualties. The German military
cemetery here was established after the war by the French military
authorities as a concentration cemetery for German dead, it was used to bury
the dead from other cemeteries in the surrounding battlefields A small
number of the burials here died in the autumn of 1914 during the German
advance and retreat of the Battle of the Marne and other burials are from
the defence of the Chemin-des-Dames in the early part of 1915. The cemetery
continued to be used for those killed in action or died from wounds until a
larger group of casualties were buried here victims of the French offensive
at the Chemin des dames in April 1917. The largest number of casualties
however, come from the last year of the war, 1918.
In the 1920's, it became obvious that repair work was necessary and an agreement was reached with the French authorities to allow this to commence. However, the problem of replacing the temporary grave markers with permanent crosses persisted, due mainly to a lack of funds and also the commencement of the Second World War.
After the Franco-German War Graves Agreement of 19 July 1966, the German War Graves Commission arrived at a final design for the German military cemeteries in France and Belgium dating back to the start of the First World War, basic landscaping was carried out including the planting of trees and shrubs, edging the mass graves with stone masonry. A new entrance gate was also erected at this time. Eventually, in 1973 the temporary wooden grave markers were replaced by crosses of stone engraved with names and dates of those buried
Of the 9229 casualties, 3672 rest in individual graves and 13 are unknown. In the four mass graves are 5557 casualties of which 4779 are unknown . Graves of the 13 fallen of Jewish faith were, for religious reasons made of natural stone. The Hebrew characters on the stone say: "Here rests" (name) followed by "May his soul be woven into the circle of the living."
The cemetery is now constantly cared for by gardeners of the German War Graves Authority. Information regarding the location of graves, and units of the fallen can be found by contacting, The German War Graves Commission Federal office Department Graves Registration Service, Werner-Hilpert-Straße 2, D-34112, Kassel.
There are 9229 casualties commemorated here.
Latest additions to the site | Belgian Cemeteries WW1 Index | French Cemeteries WW1 Index | Turkish Cemeteries WW1 Index
British Cemeteries Index | Other Countries WW1 Index | Belgian Cemeteries WW2 Index | French Cemeteries WW2 Index
Other Countries WW2 Index | Memorial Index | Architects | Roll of Honour Dedications | Roll of Honour
Cemeteries with Victoria Cross burials | Cemeteries with "Shot at Dawn" burials | Regimental Badge Archive
Information on how to submit a photograph or image to the site | Book Reviews | About Us and our task | Links
Site Map | Miscellaneous articles | WW1 Battles Index