ST. SEVER CEMETERY
General Directions: OPENING TIMES 1 March - 1 November: Monday-Saturday: 0815 - 1745 Sundays/Public Holidays : 0815 - 1745 2 November-28 February: Every Day: 0815 - 1645
St Sever Cemetery and St Sever Cemetery Extension are located within a large communal cemetery situated on the eastern edge of the southern Rouen suburbs of Le Grand Quevilly and Le Petit Quevilly. If approaching Rouen from the north, head for the centre of town and cross over the river Seine, following signs for Caen. Follow this route until you get to the 'Rond Point des Bruyeres' roundabout (next to the football stadium), then take the first exit into the Boulevard Stanislas Girardin. The cemetery is 150 metres down this road on the left. If approaching Rouen from the south, follow the N138 (Avenue des Canadiens) towards the centre of town. At the 'Rond Point des Bruyeres' roundabout (next to the football stadium), take the fourth exit into the Boulevard Stanislas Girardin. The cemetery is 150 metres down this road on the left. If arriving on foot, take the metro to St Sever Metro Station, then follow the Avenue de Caen until you get to the Avenue de la Liberation, then take this road and follow this, which will become the Boulevard du 11 Novembre. At the end of this road is the 'Rond Point des Bruyeres' roundabout. Take the first exit from this into the Boulevard Stanislas Girardin. The cemetery is 150 metres down this road on the left.
During the First World War, Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen. A base supply depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were also established in the city. Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross, one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St. Sever. In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension. St. Sever Cemetery contains 3,082 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There is also 1 French burial and 1 non war service burial here.
The Commonwealth plots were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield
Casualty Details: UK 2689, Canada 137, Australia 112, New Zealand 51, South Africa 19, India 75, Total Burials: 3083
Arthur George William Wright
10th Bn. Essex Regiment
19/09/1916, aged 20.
Son of Arthur and Caroline Ann Wright, of Clavering, Newport, Essex.
Row B. 22. 58.
Arthur George William Wright (Pte 14592) was born on the 31st October 1895 at Hamlet House, Lower Pond Street, Wenden Lofts, near Elmdon, Essex. He was the son of Arthur Wright and Caroline Ann Baker. The family later moved to Clavering. Always known as George, he joined the 10th Battalion of the Essex Regiment in 1914, trained at the Hyderabad Barracks in Colchester and at Codford St Mary in Wiltshire. He arrived in France in July 1915. He served at the front at numerous locations on The Somme including the Wellington Redoubt, La Boiselle and Maricourt.
On 1st July 1916, George took part in the successful taking of Montauban. He could have been injured here, or possibly continued to fight at Delville Wood. He was withdrawn to Rouen where at Hospital No 9 he died of injuries on 19th September 1916. He is commemorated on the brass wall plaque on an interior wall in Clavering Church.
Picture and information courtesy of great nephew, Mark Ward email@example.com
John James Lyon
1st Coy. 3rd Bn. Coldstream Guards
16/10/1915, aged 35.
Son of Charles and Lucy Lyon, of 55, Pilling Lane, Chorley, England; husband of Catherine Wilson, of North Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Plot A. 13. 3.
"For king and country his name liveth forevermore"
Pictures courtesy of Barry Forster