PEAKE WOOD CEMETERY
General Directions: Fricourt is a village about 5 kilometres east of Albert. Peake Wood Cemetery will be found on the north-west side of the road about one kilometre from Contalmaison.
Peake Wood was the name given by the army to a copse on the south-east side of the road to Contalmaison. The wood fell into Allied hands on 5 July 1916 but the cemetery was not begun until later in the month. It was used as a front line cemetery until February 1917 and was in German hands from the end of March 1918, until nearly the end of the following August.
Casualty Details: UK 94, Canada 1, Australia 8, Total Burials: 103