OAK DUMP CEMETERY
Oak Dump Cemetery is located 5 Kms south of Ieper town centre, on the Bernikkewallestraat a road leading from the Rijselsesweg (N365) connecting Ieper to Armentieres.
From Ieper town centre the Rijselseweg is located via the Rijselsestraat, through the Rijselpoort (Lille Gate) and by crossing the Ieper ring road, towards Armentieres and Lille. The road name then changes to Rijselseweg.
3 Kms along the Rijselseweg lies the left hand turning onto the Vaartstraat. 1 Km along the Vaartstraat lies the first right hand turning onto the Bernikkewallestraat.
The cemetery itself lies 1 Km along the Bernikkewallestraat on the right hand side of the road.
Wheelchair access is possible via the main entrance.
Oak Dump Cemetery was made by fighting units in July, August and September 1917 and one grave of 1914 was brought in after the Armistice.
In March 1918 a sap opposite the cemetery was blown in, and seven men of the 180th Siege Battery were killed. Their bodies were found in 1927 and buried in the cemetery.
The cemetery now contains 111 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, five of them unidentified. Two of the graves destroyed by shell fire are represented by special memorials.
The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.
Casualty Details: UK 109; Australia 2; Total Burials: 111