BETHLEEM FARM WEST CEMETERY
Bethleem Farm West cemetery is located 10 km south of Ieper town centre and 1 km south east of Mesen, on a road called the Rijselstraat, which leads from Mesen market square. (Mesen itself is located 10 km from Ieper via the N365 connecting Ieper to Armentieres).
The cemetery lies 1 km beyond Mesen market place along the Rijselstraat, on the right hand side of the road, towards a farmstead (known as Nazareth or Schnitzel Farm). Visitors to this site should note a short grassed access path which is unsuitable for vehicles.
Wheelchair access possible via main entrance.
Bethleem Farm West Cemetery was made by units of the 3rd Australian Division (it was known to them as the '3rd Division General Cemetery'), who captured Bethleem Farm (which can be found to the north-east) on 7 June 1917 during the Battle of Messines. It continued to be used by the 14th (Light) Division until the end of 1917. There is also an East Cemetery located nearby.
There are now 165 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in the cemetery including one casualty commemorated by special memorial whose grave in the cemetery was destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery also contains one unidentifed burial of the Second World War.
The cemetery was designed by G H Goldsmith
Total burials: 165.
Identified Casualties: Australia 113, New Zealand 27, United Kingdom 25. Total 165.
Unidentified Casualty: 1. Total 1.