Fosse 7 was four kilometres East of Mazingarbe, on the West side of the road from Lens to Bethune and it consisted of a pit-head and an Electric Power Station with a garden suburb of miners' houses (the trench which led into the cemetery was named "Quality Street" during the War). Fosse No. 7 Military Cemetery was begun by French troops in May, 1915, and carried on by British units from June, 1915, to April, 1917.
There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 10 are unidentified and 17, destroyed by shell fire, are now represented by special memorials.
Leave a Reply.
Visit our World War Two Blog