Designed by Ian B. Hamilton, the 9th Scottish Division Memorial was unveiled on the 9th April 1922. Its original location was in the middle of the Arras-Douai road but its visit became dangerous because of heavy traffic. It was moved in 2006 and placed in front of Point-du-Jour Military Cemetery where many men of the 9th Scottish Division finally rest. The 30 feet high Cairn, built from blocks of granite, bears the Battle Honours of the Division during the Great War. Twenty-six granite boulders bears the name of units which served in the Division in 1915-1918.
Millencourt Communal Cemetery Extension was used by units, field ambulances, and the III Corps Main Dressing Station in 1916, and by the 4th Australian Division and other units in March and April 1918. The cemetery contains 340 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, and five German burials.
Local villagers from the commune of Étricourt-Manancourt turning out to commemorate the 100 years to the day that Captain Tidswell was shot down, reputedly by the Red Baron on the 16th October 1916. The grave is located in fields close to the village. Picture © Jean-Claude Graux.
Ninth Avenue Cemetery is one of three cemeteries close together near the town of Loos in Northern France. The other two are St. Mary's A. D. S. Cemetery and Bois Carré Military Cemetery
Béthencourt Communal Cemetery
The CWGC Gardeners out in force in Béthencourt Communal Cemetery in the Nord region of France. A big thank you to all of them for keeping our cemeteries and memorials all over the world in such a beautiful condition throughout the year. (Picture © Jean-Claude Graux)
Visit our World War Two Blog