Villers-Plouich was captured in April 1917, by the 13th East Surreys, lost in March 1918 and regained at the end of the following September, when the 1st East Surreys were the first troops to enter the village. It was later "adopted" by the Borough of Wandsworth. There are 51, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in Sunken Road Cemetery, Villers-Plouich, of these, 3 are unidentified.
Ribécourt Railway Cemetery
Ribécourt village was captured by the 9th Norfolks (6th Division) on the morning of 20 November 1917. It was lost in March 1918, but recaptured by the 3rd Division on 27 September 1918. Ribécourt Railway Cemetery was made by the 3rd Division in October 1918 and contains 53 First World War burials, one of which is unidentified.
Ribécourt British Cemetery
Ribécourt British Cemetery was begun by the 6th Division in November 1917 and used at intervals until March 1918; and further burials were made in September and October 1918. There are 295, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.
Villers-Plouich was captured in April, 1917, by the 13th East Surreys; lost in March, 1918; and regained at the end of the following September, when the 1st East Surreys were the first troops to enter the village. It was later "adopted" by the Borough of Wandsworth. There are now 53, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in Villers-Plouich Communal Cemetery.
"Fifteen Ravine" was the name given by the Army to the shallow ravine, once bordered by fifteen trees, which ran at right angles to the railway about 800 metres south of the village of Villers-Plouich, but the cemetery is in fact in "Farm Ravine," on the east side of the railway line, nearer to the village. Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery now contains 1,267 burials and commemorations of the First World War, of which 739 of the burials are unidentified.
Masnières British Cemetery
Masnières British Cemetery was made by the 3rd Division Burial Officer in October 1918.
There are now 226 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 56 are unidentified. All fell in September-October, 1918.
Marcoing British Cemetery
Marcoing British Cemetery was made after the Armistice, by the concentration of graves (almost all of November 1917 or September-October 1918) from RUMILLY GERMAN CEMETERY and from the local battlefields. There are 372, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.
There are now 81,1914-18 war casualties commemorated in Rumilly-en-Cambrésis Communal Cemetery Extension, Of these, 3 are unidentified. The dates of death cover the first fortnight of October, 1918. Thirty German graves of October, 1918, have been removed to Cambrai East Military Cemetery.
Noyelles-sur-l'Escaut Communal Cemetery Extension was made by the 2nd Division Burial Officer and it contains the graves of officers and men of the 2nd, 62nd (West Riding) and 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, who fell in September-October 1918.
Cantaing British Cemetery
Cantaing was captured on the 21st November, 1917, by the 51st (Highland) and 6th Divisions, with Cavalry and Tanks. It was held against attack on the 1st December, but given up a few days later. It was recaptured at the end of September, 1918, and Cantaing British Cemetery was made by the 52nd Division Burial Officer immediately after. There are 68, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 5 are unidentified.
Visit our World War Two Blog