Ramparts Cemetery lies within the town of Ieper itself, 1 Km south of Ieper Market Square.
The cemetery was begun by French troops in November 1914 and used by Commonwealth units at intervals from February 1915 to April 1918. Architect Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Poperinghe New Military Cemetery in Belgium contains 17 Commonwealth servicemen who were "Shot at Dawn" during 1916 to 1917. Architect Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery was begun in April 1915 at the North-end of a small plantation of larches. It was used by troops holding this sector, particularly the 46th (North Midland) Division and the 1st Dorsets, until April 1918. Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens
Lancashire Cottage Cemetery was begun by the 1st East Lancashires (who have 84 graves in it) and the 1st Hampshire (who have 56) in November 1914. It was used as a front line cemetery until March 1916 and occasionally later. The cemetery was in German hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918 and they made a few burials in it during that spring and summer. The cemetery contains 256 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There are also 13 German war graves. Architect Charles Holden.
La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery was begun in April 1915 by the 48th (South Midland) Division and continued in use until May 1918, when it fell into German hands. The cemetery contains 336 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. Architect Charles Holden.
Designed by Ian B. Hamilton, the 9th Scottish Division Memorial was unveiled on the 9th April 1922. Its original location was in the middle of the Arras-Douai road but its visit became dangerous because of heavy traffic. It was moved in 2006 and placed in front of Point-du-Jour Military Cemetery where many men of the 9th Scottish Division finally rest. The 30 feet high Cairn, built from blocks of granite, bears the Battle Honours of the Division during the Great War. Twenty-six granite boulders bears the name of units which served in the Division in 1915-1918.
Millencourt Communal Cemetery Extension was used by units, field ambulances, and the III Corps Main Dressing Station in 1916, and by the 4th Australian Division and other units in March and April 1918. The cemetery contains 340 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, and five German burials.
Local villagers from the commune of Étricourt-Manancourt turning out to commemorate the 100 years to the day that Captain Tidswell was shot down, reputedly by the Red Baron on the 16th October 1916. The grave is located in fields close to the village. Picture © Jean-Claude Graux.
Ninth Avenue Cemetery is one of three cemeteries close together near the town of Loos in Northern France. The other two are St. Mary's A. D. S. Cemetery and Bois Carré Military Cemetery
The CWGC Gardeners out in force in Béthencourt Communal Cemetery in the Nord region of France. A big thank you to all of them for keeping our cemeteries and memorials all over the world in such a beautiful condition throughout the year. (Picture © Jean-Claude Graux)